Sunday, July 31, 2011
The Heavy Truth
Most doctors will say that obesity takes place when your body is more than 20% overweight. at 245lb, I was 40% overweight and smack dab in the middle of an obesity epidemic that is killing 300,000 Americans every year. I am also an African American in a community whose obesity rates are almost twice as high as many other ethnic groups. By most accounts, some would say that I'm a responsible person. I don't drink and have never done any drugs. I'm married, own a house, and have a nice job as a technology professional. But my body was telling a different story. my blood sugar was sky high, and I was at increased risk for heart disease, cancer, dementia, and many other obesity linked illnesses. I was a living example of what many Americans, nearly 1 out of 4 are dealing with every day. Most people are obese as a result of many years or poor nutritional habits. A combination of misinformation, stress, social pressures, and accessibility has caused food of all things to become the new drug. To make matters worse, when you are obese your body becomes efficient at processing the dangerous foods that are killing it, making it more difficult and sometimes more dangerous to try and pull away from those type of foods. Its time for a fundamental change in how we interact with food in our society. We live in a land where we have unlimited access to cheap foods 24/7, something that mankind has never had before. Conventional wisdom of the past no longer applies because the way we make food is completely different. The ingredients in the foods we eat today have scientific names that some of us can't even pronounce! To beat obesity in this new world, we have to approach the issue with education, motivation, and reality. Education on how our body's really work and interact with these foods. Motivation to make the necessary changes in our eating and diet to give our body its healthiest life. Reality that we don't have to give up foods we love, or our love of food, but change the way we treat them. The fight against obesity is a very winnable fight, so stay tuned to this blog and we will show you how!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment